Ephesians 5:19,20 – speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Thanksgiving as a will of God Is evident in the above reference.
December 2014 was declared as the month of Thanksgiving.
By an act of parliament, the Canadians in 1957 also decided to start their own Thanksgiving it is celebrated or the second Monday in October of every year. One interesting fact about Thanksgiving is that not only Christians, but people of all beliefs celebrate the Thanksgiving. They have a time of sharing and remembering the countless blessings God bestowed on them as individuals and families.
In the word of God, we find various examples in the scriptures where Jesus Christ our Lord expressed thanks. We see such examples before he raised Lazarus (John 11:41), Before the Passover meal (Luke 22:17 – 19), Before the multiplication of the five loaves of bread and two fishes (Matthew 15:30). David the man after God’s own heart has written various psalms as expression of his Thanksgiving. We also have Thanksgiving in heaven (Revelation 11:17 & Revelations 4:9). Hence Thanksgiving is something a believer should practice in his on her day-to-day life.
PRINCIPLES OF THANKSGIVING
- Thanksgiving pleases God – Psalms 69:30, 31 I will praise God’s name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving. This will please the Lord more than an ox, more than a bull with its horns and hooves. God desires our Thanksgiving and praises rather than sacrifices.
- Thanksgiving is good – In Psalms 92 it is told that it is a good thing to give thanks to the Lord.
- Thanksgiving is an attitude – Thanksgiving is the state of the heart it should become the way of life for a believer. It is when Thanksgiving becomes a way of life that songs will come into your heart and you will ponder on the goodness of the Lord. (Eph 5:19).
- Thanksgiving should be a daily activity of the spirit – Thanksgiving should be done such as a spiritual prescription that should be taken in regular doses. (Psalms 35:28, 119:164).
- Thanksgiving has no limits – We are to give thanks for everything and in everything when we are happy, sad, angry, sick, rich, poor etc. No matter our situation Thanksgiving is appropriate. It is an expectation of God and suitable for all situations.
- Thanksgiving is repetitive (Psalms 89:1). – The steadfast love of the Lord never seizes. His mercies are new every morning. Hence it becomes necessary to repeat Thanksgiving for God’s numerous blessings each day and every moment.
- Reasons for Thanksgiving are uncountable – We will never be able to fully document the reason for Thanksgiving. No matter where you are and how you are, there are always reasons to thank God.
- Thanksgiving is simple.
HINDRANCES TO THANKSGIVING
- False assurance – Some people believe that they are entitled to all the blessings just because they are born again. They forget that every blessing is just the grace of God.
- Lack of contentment in life.
HOW TO BE THANKFUL
- Begin each day thanking God.
- Take some time to thank God before beginning to pray. Jesus Christ gave us a great example when he went to the tomb of Lazarus and began his prayer with Thanksgiving (John 11:41).
- Keep record of things you need to thank God for as you go on spending your day.
- Never hesitate to witness or thank God for the blessings you receive. Make it a way of life.
- Do not forget to end your day by giving thanks to God.
We are bound to give thanks not just because of the countless blessings we receive from God but because we have an eternal relationship With God. Let’s inculcate this habit of Thanksgiving Which brings glory to our Savior Lord Jesus Christ.